I am, once again, VERY behind on my blog! I have been totally lazy at it, but I am determined to catch up.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Our new life adventure...

Two days ago I was in my car and heard something on the radio about being a host family for a group of Japanese exchange students that were coming to our town for about a month. It caught my attention, and I thought it sounded interesting. After talking to Justin about it, he seemed to like the idea, too. We thought it would be a very good and educational experience for us and our kids. So right when I got home I called the number only to find out that all the students had already been placed because they were arriving the next day (they weren't sure why it was still airing on the radio). But, what I also found out was that the host family for the teacher that was coming with the group fell through, so the coordinator in our town was just going to take her...unless we wanted her. After much debate and discussion, Justin and I decided that we would still like to do it even though it wasn't a student. So last night at about 10pm we began a new adventure. I went to the bus drop off place and picked up Chiyomi, the newest (37 year old) member of our family (temporarily). And no, I don't need you to point out how much youner than me she looks, even though she is 10 years older.And I know that in this picture I look about 3 feet taller than her, but don't be deceived...I'm really like 5 feet taller, I was just hunching over for the picture. :-) But anyways, we have loved every minute of having her here, and I think my kids are going to be absolutely heart broken when she leaves! She is one of the sweetest, most polite and grateful people I have ever met. Here we are with all the presents she brought for us from Japan (oh, and she's from Kagoshima, by the way).And she's a basketball coach for a boys' team at the school where she teaches English, so we of course had to play with her.One of the gifts she gave us all was our own set of chopsticks, so when we had spaghetti for dinner tonight we all used them.I never even had to get out a fork, I was so proud! The kids actually did really well, too, and had really great attitudes about it the whole time. It has been such a fun day hearing about Japan and comparing our different cultures. This experience is going to be so amazing, and I am really looking forward to this next month. Some of the funny things that I wanted to take note of after her first day in the U.S. have been: 1. Her amazement with my house. She couldn't believe how big and beautiful and clean it is. She even asked me if I clean it myself. I don't know if there's some misconception in Japan that we're all rich and have maids, but it made me smile. 2. Her fascination with the dishwasher (she washes everything by hand). She said, "It even dries the dishes?!" So cute! 3. Her discovery of the can opener...and yes, I am talking the hand held manual can opener that every person in America has atleast one of. She'd never used or seen one in her life. Needless to say, she became my can opener all day! 4. Her new found love of applesauce and homemade breadsticks, both of which she's never had. Every single meal we had today was food she never has (oatmeal, hamburgers with french fries and applesauce and spaghetti with peas and breadsticks), with the exception of spaghetti, but even then, she said it was way different than what they have back home. But she was completely surprised with the applesauce and breadsticks and loved them so much she even had seconds, which I don't think is very common in her culture. 5. Now this one is really gonna get you...her discovery of the Wii and how fun it is. Okay, I may be wrong here people, and I should probably look it up so that if I'm wrong I don't look like a total retard, but...isn't the Wii made in Japan? And she's never seen or played one before! She loved it, and it was so funny to watch her learn to use it. She eventually got the hang of it. Well, hmmm...I think those were the biggest things from our first day together. I'm sure I will have lots of posts during her stay with us, and I'm sure it will all be very interesting. If everyday goes like today, it's going to be the experience of a lifetime, and I am so happy we took this opportunity!

1 comment:

  1. I asked Aaron about the Wii and he said yes, all nintendo products (including the Wii) are based in Japan. But he did say that it wouldn't mean every Japanese person had one, or knew about them. :)

    My mom would be so jealous to hear you have a Japanese lady staying with you because she served her mission in Tokyo.

    So so fun! I can't believe all the listed items that she was so intrigued with. Makes me want to be grateful for my dishwasher. LOL.

    I can't wait to see your future posts! Looks like so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete