I am, once again, VERY behind on my blog! I have been totally lazy at it, but I am determined to catch up.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Broadening my horizons...

Yesterday I went to Super Saturday, and one of the classes I took was cake decorating. During the class we got to practice decorating cupcakes. Here's how one of mine turned out...I was pretty happy with it. I felt excited and inspired, as it was my first time trying cake decorating. It made me want to learn and try it more. Maybe someday I'll be able to take classes at Michaels doing it. Well, then later in the day I had to make cupcakes for a baptism, so I thought it was the perfect time to put my new knowledge to the test. I was pretty nervous about it, but excited to try it on my own at home. Unfortunately, I don't have much to work with as far as cake decorating tools, and honestly, I've never made homemade frosting in my life. That part I was really nervous about, but here's how they ended up...I know they don't look bakery-ready or anything, but I was very excited. I was proud of how they turned out for my very first attempt by myself. My biggest problem was that my frosting was too thick, and then it ended up hardening on the cupcakes after about 30 minutes. Oh well...they still tasted good, and my family was all impressed that I did it. My sister, Lisa, even said my cupcakes looked like something she would wear. I took that as a pretty good compliment for them looking pretty. I will definitely be trying it out again soon!

1 comment:

  1. They look awesome! You go girl! You should take classes at the local college, you already have the talent!

    This is the frosting recipe I use and love...
    * 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
    * 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
    * 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
    * 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
    * 2 tablespoons milk

    Makes: About 3 cups of icing.

    ReplyDelete