I am, once again, VERY behind on my blog! I have been totally lazy at it, but I am determined to catch up.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Our Friday night adventure!

I don't recommend following a drunk driver, just incase you were wondering. Let me explain. It was about 11:40pm and we were on our way home from Vacaville. A driver pulls out in front of us, a good distance away, but I immediately think "drunk driver". The closer we got Justin said, "You think it's a drunk driver." I said, "Yes." So he got out his phone and called 911 to report it. In the mean time we ended up having to pass him (on a 2 lane road) cuz he slows down to a ridiculously low speed and waves us on. Hesitently Justin goes around him, all the while my heart pounding at the thought of driving next to someone that's drunk. Justin safely gets infront of him and continues to talk to the 911 opereator. After getting off the phone we end up passing two police cars, neither of which turn around to get him. Again, Justin gets on the phone. We ended up pulling over to let him pass us so we could get his license plate number, all the while having passed our turn off to go home about a 1/2mile ago. Justin continues to follow him, as we both are pretty passionate against drunk driving, and feels it is in the best interest of everyone on the road to make sure a cop gets this guy. Well, after about 4 more 911 calls updating the operator everytime he made a turn (there were several, cuz I think he knew we were following him) we're out in the middle of nowhere, basically, heading towards the Sutter Buttes. We're long past bed time and long past home. We're on a two lane road with ditches on both sides of us and the car that at one point was going super fast (trying to lose us, I think) is now getting slower and slower. Luckily we see headlights behind us and we think, oh is surely must be a cop because no one else would be on this road especially at this hour. The drunk driver then comes to a stop at the stop sign (which he hadn't been doing previously) and it's a dead end one, so you had to turn one way or the other. So we have drunk driver dude infront of us, ditches on both sides, headlights approaching us in back and kids asleep in the car. The guy then proceeds to turn on his hazzard lights and open his car door. Justin had stopped far back, so as to not get too close to him, but still a very scarey feeling. He gets out and then goes to his trunk and gets something out, and in the mean time we realize the headlights behind us are in no way shape or form a cop coming to rescue us. Great! Now we're trapped...there's no way Justin could've made a clean smooth U-turn with how narrow the road was. Well, it was too dark to see what the guy got out of his trunk, but luckily he just got back in his car and started driving away. After the mini heart attack I think Justin and I both had we obviously ended the following of the drunk man at that point. We still don't know what happened. All we can hope is that the cops did get him (we did see a police airplane searching in the area that we were) and that he didn't hurt anyone. In the area we were in I can't imagine that there were many cars out at that time of night, so we just hoped for the best. It was some of the scariest moments of my life, though, and I am thankful that we were safe. Now I know why the 911 operator told Justin on the phone "we don't recommend you follow him", to which Justin responded, "yeah, but this guy just needs to get off the road" and had we not followed him they wouldn't have had a clue where he went since he made all these turns all the while no cop getting him. So, incase you ever come upon a similar situation in where you think it is in people's best interest to get the drunk driver off the road, I would recommend just calling 911 to report it will all information possible, and leaving it at that. It's just not worth it!

2 comments:

  1. Holy Posts Batman! It was so fun to read! I love Ava's crazy hair, you should do it like that more often! Love Hannahs little Date thingy post! Is Spencer really that old now??? WOW! Glad Easter Friday was a great day, and yeah SuPER glad you guys didn't get killed by the drunk man. Way to go for calling the police though. Aaron and I sometimes "think" we see drunk drivers but are never sure. Glad you made it home safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is scary! It's one of those things where you want everyone else to be safe, but you have to remember not to do it at your own expense. We have called in drunk drivers before too and I think that is the best thing we can do! I'm glad everything turned out alright and that you guys are all safe!

    ReplyDelete